April 9, 2008

Sleeping in the closet

We're getting ready to put Max in his own toddler bed when he turns 2 at the end of the month. He's not been napping well lately, so last week, I started letting him sleep in Quinlin's bed. To my surprise, he does really well staying in bed and seems to even sleep most days.

I like to peek in there when I haven't heard him for a while, just to see if he's sleeping. A short time ago, I went to check on him. I slowly and quietly opened the door so I could peek inside just enough to see him in the bed. To my surprise, he wasn't in the bed. I thought, well maybe he fell asleep on the floor on the other side of the bed. So, I tip toed around the bed expecting to see him on the floor. No, still no Max. Where could he be? As I thought, I could hear slow steady breathing...so he had to be in the room (not to mention I didn't think he could use his short little legs to crawl out the window). He must be under the bed! Not wanting to wake him, still moving slowly and quietly, I lifted the bed skirt to peek under the bed. Nope, not there either! I hear him, but I can't see him? I listened to the breathing...trying to hone in on where it could be coming from. As I followed the sound, I realized the sound was coming from the closet! I can't believe he got in there, let alone actually fell asleep!

I don't know if many of you know how impossible it is to get into Quinlin's closet. To keep Quinlin's disaster down (kind of like a the dust cloud that follows that really dirty kid on the Peanuts cartoon), we keep EVERYTHING, but her bed, in the closet and we lock it so she can't get in there and pull it all out. Max not only had to get into the locked closet, but find a place to sit (it's pretty crowded!) and get comfortable enough to fall asleep. I have no idea how or where in there he is, just that he's there, breathing, and sleeping.

Now I'm just waiting for him to wake up...I wish Erik was home to see this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that I can picture the closet where he is! What fun. Knowing Max, in his mind i bet he is sleeping deep in a cave!

-scott

Anonymous said...

Haha! That's hilarious. Ditto, what Scott said...it's cool that I know exactly what the closet you're talking about looks like :D

Crazed Nitwit said...

Oh how funny toddlers are. I remember mine falling asleep at the dinner table or just on the floor of the family room if they were tired enough. Too bad teens don't do that.